RE: What type welders please?

To: <MGBnutt@aol.com>, <BarrMark262@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What type welders please?
From: "Matthew Hale" <haleme@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:12:17 -0500
I have welded with both non gas wire MIGs and with oxy.  I am also a novice,
but feel I got cleaner welds with less warpage using gas then from a non gas
welder.  Most non gas welders only go down to 55 or so amps.  To effectively
weld (RE: not burn holes) an MG's relatively thin sheet metal, you need
something around 30 or 35 amps.  Also, these same welders only go up to 90
or 100 amps, so welding thicker, heavier metal.  They may not have hookups
for gas if you want to go down that route later.  How do I know?  I am on my
second welder in less then 4 months.  Thank goodness Harbor Freight is so
understanding!  My first welder was a Chicago Electric 100 (55-100 Amps) w/o
gas hookups.  I am now using a Hobart Handler 135 (30 - 135 Amps) w/ built
in hookups for oxy and an 125 cuft cylinder.  Both use standard 20 Amp 110
volt connections.  The first setup cost $150.  The new setup cost a little
over $600 for the welder, cylinder and cart.  It is totally worth it in my
opinion.  Just remember you get what you pay for in this area.

Matthew
67B