Clunk From Front End When Backing & Braking

To: "MG Digest (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clunk From Front End When Backing & Braking
From: "Christian, Skip" <wellner.christian@navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:15:56 -0500
Group,

        For 1974 MGB, I just replaced the kingpins and brake pads.  My goal was
get rid of a nasty clunking sound (left side) that occurred when the brakes
were applied going forwards or backwards.  I thought it was the lower kingpin
bushing (the one that connects the kingpin assembly to the lower control arm).
Initially the sound was gone.  Now it has returned when backing up.  It is a
one time clunk (sounds like left side) that now occurs if the car is backed up
and the brakes are applied fairly hard.  I did not know the torque figure for
the upper and lower kingpin bushing bolts (connections to control arms).  I
torqued both to 40 lbs-ft.  Is that too loose ???  Also, how long do V8 lower
control arm bushings (inner) last and what is the torque figure for the lower
control arm inner bushing bolts when V8 bushings are installed ????  It has to
be higher than for the std rubber bushings.

Thanks,  Skip