Re: Knackered Bearings

To: DMatt21502@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Knackered Bearings
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:38:16 US/Mountain
> At the risk of sounding ignorant. ( Not a new problem!!!) What are
knackered
> bearings? Is this and old country colloquialism? Dave

>From the New College Edition of The American Heritage Dictionary of the
English Language - copywright last shown in this edition of 1976

Knacker - n. British 1.  A person who buys useless or worn-out livestock
and sells the meat or hides.  2.  A person who buys up discarded
structures and dismantles them to sell the materials. [Originally "harness
maker," saddler, probably from Scandinavian, akin to Old Norse hnakkur,
saddle]

So if it is used as an adjective, I guess worn out fits well for this one.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB
'58 MGA
misc other stuff, mostly