Intake/exhaust manifold studs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Intake/exhaust manifold studs
From: <davidpriebe@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:07:25 -0500
I am in the process of repairing an oil leak at the tappet
covers on my '66 MGB. I've removed the intake and exhaust
manifolds. A couple of the exhaust manifold studs broke
(farthest forward and farthest rearward). Luckily I was
able to get them out successfully. I am wondering if I
should put the new studs in 'dry' or use anti-seize on
them? Also is there any reason to replace the other studs
at this time or just leave them alone?

On a slightly different topic, but related to broken
bolts, I've pretty severely damaged the passenger side
rear chrome bumper overrider trying to remove it. The
rusted bolt holding it to the bumper broke. I tried to
drill it out, and then broke an ez-out in it, and then
broke the captive nut. All of which are valuable lessons
to me of the way not to remove broken bolts (or studs, see
above, I've learned my lesson). Anyway, I purchased a new
replacement overrider, but am not too impressed by the
quality of it compared to the original. Besides eBay, is
there a good online vendor for used MGB parts?

David Priebe
Carnation, WA
91 200tqa 182k (his)
95.5 S6 114k (hers)