Wiper Wheelbox/Stem

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiper Wheelbox/Stem
From: "Plant, Keith Contractor (NSAGAETA N6)"
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:26:25 +0200
Fellow Listers,

I am still quite the novice, but I beleive I'm slowly learning the ins and
outs of the MG because of the great information on this list.  Normally I an
just a lurker but every now and then I have a question like today.  The
grooved top of the wheelbox on my MG has worn down horribly to the point it
will spin and the wiper will not move.  I ordered another wheelbox and
promprly seemed to have destroyed it :-/.  In the Haynes manuel and also on
the Moss website, it shows the top as detachable as to where the 'stem' of
the wheebox along with the gear will drop from the assembly, thus allowing
the cable to be removed/placed from inside the housing.  I used a set of
plyers to try to remove this 'cap' with teeth but only succeeded in cracking
a piece of the top off (I'm praying it's still usable, at least
temporarily...).  How do I disassemble the wheelbox/stem assembly! Help! :)

Thanks in advance.  Here are two photos of the new/broken item, if it is not
usable temporarily, I'll have to visit Jeff Zorn's website again!

http://www.worldseyeview.com/keith/wheelbox.jpg --- Picture from good side.
Cap that is 'supposedly' removable, is the dark metal on top.
http://www.worldseyeview.com/keith/wheelbox1.jpg --- Picture of the cracked
side.  Sorry about quality/flash.

Very Respectfully,
Keith Plant