Re: battery drain-alternator

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: battery drain-alternator
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:12:51 +0100
That is still not good, it should be 14.5v unless there is a significant
load on the electrics from something.  This is largely irrespective of the
regulator number, and Clausager states that the 4TR was the external
regulator used on the early 16AC alternators.  If you measured this on the
alternator output spades then the alternator is still the problem.  13.5v
should be enough to keep the batteries charged, but you need to check the
voltage with things like lights and wipers on.  If it then drops to 13v or
lower you run the risk of flattening the battery while driving.

PaulH.