Vibratory Tumblers.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vibratory Tumblers.
From: "hellbent@owc.net" <hellbent@owc.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 11:19:36 -0600
After years of dormancy due to health problems, I have moved
some of my MGA project out of storage and into the garage.
Even though I plan to take it slow, I figured the project
will go faster than it did with all the stuff in my freind's
barn  :)

Anyway, I bought this vibratory tumbler from Eastwood.  It
was advertised to remove rust from bolts quickly.

The one I bought is the light duty one that comes with the
green plastic pyramid media and some brown "dry shine"
media.  I fooled around with it working on fender bolts and
washers (using green media).  It doesn't seem to work very
well.  I tried varying the amount of hardware I put into it.
 But it doesnt seem to matter.

I wonder if I am expecting too much from it.  Maybe the idea
is to throw five or ten bolts in there and let it run for a
week or two -- or a couple of months maybe.  Then maybe it
would make the bolts shiney.  Do you think?

Anybody have an opinion on these things?

I gave up and used an electrolysis set up (battery charger,
soda and water solution).  That takes the rust off but
leaves the parts coated in a "black colored rust" that is
not fun to get off either.

Next step for me may be muriatic acid and water solution.
If that becomes a nuisance, maybe I'll quit screwing around
and just order new bolts and washers from Todd Clarke.

Thanks for enduring my rambling rant.

Paul Hammarstedt
MGA basket cases