Re: Another beginner question......

To: "MG Discussion" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another beginner question......
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 13:36:59 -0600
Brian and others afflicted with the missing hood prop attachment point,

I have successfully attached my hood prop in what I think is a close
approximation of the original configuration. Only a very knowledgeable
enthusiast should be able to tell the difference. In order to succeed, I
needed a lot of help. James Nazarian provided me with measurements so I
could determine where the prop should attach. A few people sent some
pictures plus I still had to scrutinize Clausager's Original MG to make
sure the prop (the inner/outer sliding bars) was installed in the right
direction. Since the welded attachment point was non-existent on both my
72B and my 71BGT, I had no idea what it really looked like and I didn't
want a DPO fabricated piece. Instead I used another of the same Moss part
that attaches to the hood.

I suspect this is a common problem since both my early 70s Bs both came
without hood props, granted they also did not have the original hoods. The
hood prop is still a flimsy sort of thing. But I don't have to use a broom
stick to hold up the hood now when I'm at home (or prop it on my back if not).

I took some pictures and hope to put them up soon on how I did the setup so
others can use them if needed. I did have to drill two small holes to mount
the prop bracket and otherwise used standard Moss parts for the prop
including spacer.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B