Re: Mini incident

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mini incident
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:50:25 -0500
Eric wrote:

> While I am on a roll (oops, bad unintended pun in this context)...
>
> Last weekend the outfield of the track was soggy from a few days rain
> and I witnessed the most spectacular incident I have ever seen at our
> track.  A mini left the track at almost the exact point where I had my
> big spin the previous event at the fastest point of this track - doing
> probably 100-1100mph.  However, instead of spinning and sliding a long
> way like I did, this mini dug into the soft ground and flipped
> end-over-end (the second flip totally airborn) multiple times off the
> end of the track.
>
> The driver walked away from the incident with a sore neck and a sore
> shoulder - the car was a total (and I mean TOTAL) write-off (sorry
> Rocky).  At this sprint event roll cages are not mandatory for cars with
> roofs... I think this crash reinforced the need to sometimes go beyond
> the REQUIRED MINIMUM.  The drivers compartment was essentially intact
> (space-wise) inside the roll cage with the driver's seat just slightly
> raised at one corner because the whole body/floor had twisted.  The
> rear-end was torn out and the front was flattened.
>
> He said his brakes grabbed awkwardly and threw him to the left and off
> the track.
>
> Makes you think how lucky you are - I am not sure the 'B could go
> end-over-end like the mini but it still could have dug in if the ground
> was soggy and it would have been an ugly barrel-roll!
>
> I guess the 'B is just more inherently "stable" than the mini, eh?

The people who bought my Mini racer when I moved back to the States
managed to roll it end-over-end down the *starting-line straight* at
Mosport. I have no idea how, but that's what I was told. It too was totaled.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us