Re: Rear Discs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Discs
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:26:58 EDT
In a message dated 07/05/2004 11:07:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

The  jury is still out on the rear discs but as I said, they came with
the rear  axle that came with the diff... so I put them all on!  I am
still  trying to fiddle with decent tyres and with the plumbing to get
the correct  amount of braking bias between front and rear and may still
yet go for a  manual brake-bias adjuster (but I hate to think I would
have something like  that to fiddle with in the cabin).  OR, I could get
rid of the rear  discs so I am not shoved up into an unwinnable
competition class  grrrr!

You don't really need rear discs for the sort of work you are doing,
although for full-on racing they can be pretty handy. I have them on the
Twincam
race car of course, and they are so close to ideal bias as built that I do not
need a balance bar (although I do run twin masters for safety).
You shouldn't need a bias adjuster you have to twiddle with all the time -
just install either a twin cylinder balance bar and set it once (should take
about an hour on the track) or an in-cockpit adjuster, which is basically a
limiter to the rear circuit, and set that.
You shouldn't need to play with it at all, unless you are foolish enough to
race in the rain, in which case you'll need to limit rear braking even  more.
If you don't have a track to play on, you can do a creditable job of
adjustment on a deserted straight road. Pick a braking marker and station an
observer at the side of the road (not TOO close) a little further on. When you
hit
the marker, lay into the brakes really hard until you lock up (an old set of
tires would be a good idea for this exercise). Keep playing with the balance
bar  or rear limiter until the fronts always lock up first, and you are there!
I suggest you have an observer as it isn't always easy to tell which locked
first from the driver's seat (unless it happens to spin, of course.....)
Bill