RE: Sill Repair...

To: <tjt@insightbb.com>
Subject: RE: Sill Repair...
From: "Scott & Lynn Hower" <howersl@att.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:42:02 -0400
I agree with Paul, unless you are a pro and/or have done this
job a few times before, 1 day a side is way optimistic.
Beg, borrow or steal a copy of Porter's book, preferably Volume 1.

Plan on several weekends to cut, grind, measure, fit, align, clamp,
grind, cut, curse, align, grind, refit, clamp, align, drink, you get
the picture. You really need to test fit the front fenders and the
doors to make sure the sill gaps are correct.  I replaced the inners,
outers, castle rails, membranes, floors, doglegs, rear half sills
and inner fender trumpets (a REAL PITA).

If I were you, while you're in there, I would replace the floor
pans as well, unless they are in perfect condition.  They're pretty
simple once you have everything else out.

Some other tips:

1. Do one side at a time.
2. Take plenty of photos, preferably digital.
3. Take plenty of measurements.
4. Use genuine B/L outer sills if you can still get them.
5. Test build/clamp the sill parts on the floor to see how they fit.
6. Take ENDLESS time to align parts (I probably re-fit the doors 10
times).
7. Watch the door gaps, especially the curve at the dogleg.
8. Welding clamps and sheet metal screws are your friends.  Use lots.
9. Expect the rust to be bad - in all likelyhood, it will be worse
10. If you get frustrated or discouraged, walk away for a while.
11. Above all, take your time, you will regret it later if you rush.

Here are some before photos of mine.  It took me several months, but
I was going to grad school at the same time.

http://home.att.net/~howersl/mg/sillold.jpg
http://home.att.net/~howersl/mg/doorsill.jpg
http://home.att.net/~howersl/mg/castold.jpg
http://home.att.net/~howersl/mgb.jpg