RE: Was - Spoke wheels vs. disk - Now driving on 3 wheels

To: Lew Palmer <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>,
Subject: RE: Was - Spoke wheels vs. disk - Now driving on 3 wheels
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:33:32 -0700 (PDT)
--- Lew Palmer <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com> wrote:
> Does anyone remember one of the early demos of the
> Lotus active (computer
> controlled) suspension? Colin Chapman drove (?) one
> up the steps of St.
> Paul's Cathedral in London. By programming the
> suspension, it literally
> climbed the steps - one wheel after the other.

Yes, I remember that!  So cool.  Unfortunately, that
was probably the last time that system ever worked
correctly again.  Lotus Formula One - floundering due
to lack of financing - had massive, massive problems
with their active suspension.  I forget now who their
drivers were at the time, but I think at least one of
them was Johnny Herbert, and I remember him saying
that the car would literally pogo up and down of its
own accord at times.  There is footage of the car
jumping itself off the ground during a pit stop, for
no apparent reason.  It must have been seriously scary
to drive.

But man, I sure miss Lotus on the F1 grids.  I hope
they come back some day.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005