RE: engine compartment painting

To: "Richard" <ramsmgb@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: engine compartment painting
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:32:47 -0700
Rich:

The clips are a royal pain to deal with, but if you are careful they can
be prised out of the body plates without damaging the plates or clips.
Take time and be prepared for some paint touchup when replacing them.
This is one of those designs made to be easy for the manufacturer and a
pain for the restorer.

You should be able to get enough clearance to allow the lines to be
masked and for the paint to shoot under the masked bundle.  When masking
run the tape lengthways, not wrapped.  When painting be aware that paint
will tend to collect on the taped lines and drip down onto the surface
below, so shoot at an angle and be prepared for drips.

My habit is to use steel wool dipped in thinners to clean and slightly
abrade the original surface.  Then shoot with primer, followed by
topcoat.  So far it has worked well on three cars, albeit with a few
runs.

On this note.  Has anyone come up with an easy way to remove the black
coating that is often found under the hood of late model MGBs?  It looks
like some kind of rustproofing that may have been applied for transport
or perhaps by a DPO.

Kelvin.