Zenith stromberg tuning

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Zenith stromberg tuning
From: "J. Barry Waterland" <artforu@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:57:24 -0700
Just a couple of thoughts on this. Don seems to have a really good handle on
the situation.

Here in California (where the smog check is required until the car is 30
years old) I have never had a problem with my '77. The PO had fitted a
catalytic converter that was absolutely "straight thru" and it had been
manufactured (very nicely) that way. The automatic choke was fitted,
although none operational, when I took my first smog check with car in 2000.
It sailed through the very stringent requirements here. I forget the actual
readings but the tester said they were very low.

All I had done was to make sure the carb was running a little on the lean
side.  Being in a warm climate I have no real need of choke, even in our
so-called winter months. I have rebuilt the automatic choke, but left the
little pin that connects the spring to the carb body, out of the locating
hole. That way it all looks nice and original for the smog inspector, and
doesn't raise any unnecessary questions.....

It would be illegal to replace it with a manual choke on a car less than 30
years old.

By the way, the reason we use a small (slim) screwdriver to lift the piston
is to disturb as little of the air as possible. If I remember correctly
certain SU's came with a small lift pin under the dashpot, specifically for
this purpose.

Barry Waterland
Duarte, CA
1977 "B" BRG Roadster