HS4 SU re-installing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HS4 SU re-installing
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 13:49:13 +1030
Guys,

I am having a blonde day/weekend.

Someone (they shall remain nameless) offered me some shiny re-built (and
"worked") SUs.  Just needed to trade mine in.

Now my working weeks have been ultra busy lately, including working well
into the night, and my weekends haven't been much better as I get called
upon to run and officiate at various motorsport events.  This has left
me part of Saturday to rip the old SUs out and get them to the guy to
swap for the new ones - then TODAY (Sunday in Oz) to put the rebuilt
ones in and tune them up.

Oooops, haste makes waste (as my mother always told me).

I have worked on but never actually pulled the SUs out and had to
re-install them by myself.  I have usually had someone else with me (or
at my mechanic's place) do this for me.  A great learning experience, I
thought.  I have my Haynes and my "Complete Official MGB" books.  It
should be a doddle.

Well, the pictures and diagrams are great to a point, but I was in such
a hurry I looked-but-did-not-see how I took the old ones out and now...

OK, things don't seem "quite right" with my re-install.  Maybe there is
something a little different about the "new" carbies but I am concerned
about how I am going and don't want to go too far before finding out I
did something wrong.

Just ask?  Alright - does anyone have some nice close-up images of their
SUs without the airfilters on.  Some shots from different angles, nice
and close up and showing exactly how the linkages and cables and springs
are hooked up.  I have found SOME images on the 'Net but may not be
looking in the right places.  Written descriptions and some of the
helpful tuning articles I have found are helpful BUT I NEED PICTURES :-)

I don't know if I have done something wrong yet or not but I would
really love to see another setup just to be sure.  I have only been
fiddling with these cars for six years so you can imagine I still know
bugger all about them :-)

Thanks in advance.

--
Eric