RE: Key stuck in ignition

To: "Brian Lundgren" <elco506@austin.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Key stuck in ignition
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:10:59 -0400
Brian,
I don't know if the steering boxes are the same between the '72 and the '75
but I had the same problem with my '72.  There are two functions of the
switch, to lock the steering and the electrical side to turn the car on.  I
assumed that the problem was with the locking side so I took the cover off
of and removed the switch.  Requires cutting some slots in the top of the
attachment screws as they have no heads on them.  Found out afterwards that
I didn't have to remove the switch to fix the problem so don't remove it
until you check the electrical side.  After removing the plastic electrical
switch from the housing (which can be done carefully) I found that the semi
circle electrical contacts inside the housing jumped out of place and jammed
the switch.  I looked for a new switch and found them to be very rare and
expensive.  I put everything back together and got it working again.
Hope this helps
Pete