Re: crank shaft needed

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>, Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>,
Subject: Re: crank shaft needed
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 05:50:20 -0700 (PDT)
Yeah, late '64 into early '65 was a transition time, MGB-wise, a lot of stuff
going on. My '65 B project car came to me with a 3-main G-series engine, with
an Oct '64 build date, right in the middle of the GA to GB change-over (i.e.,
late 3-main to early 5-main), so there is no way it should have a G-series in
it... After carefully examining the car, it certainly appeared that this was
the original engine, or that it had been in there for a LONG time... However,
my BMIHT certificate was no help as apparently the factory had limited records
of engine number/car number matches during that period of time! If interested,
go here to read about it -

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dibiase/certstory.htm

Just another of those weird-isms that makes me like these cars so much!

David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net> wrote:
Its a maybe. Clausager says up to Oct 64, the 18G and 18GA engines. So
technically, the 65 B would have the 5 main. But back then, cars not sold
in 64 would have been titled and sold as 65s. Plus the 65 model year may
have started shortly before Oct 1964?
I do know that my very first MGB was a 65 and it had a 3 main bearing
engine in it. It may not have been the original engine when I bought it,
and the car was already well rusted then (in 1975).

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B

At 07:26 PM 6/3/2004 -0500, Paul Root wrote:
>Ok, Classauger is upstairs, and I'm too lazy to go up there.
>
>But....
>
>Isn't a 65 B-series engine still the 3-main?
>
>Paul.

Dan
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - It's getting better all the time....
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328