Re: squealing rear brakes

To: bernd.vabeach@erols.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: squealing rear brakes
From: MGBnutt@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:37:06 EDT
Bernie,
Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that would cause drum brakes
to squeal.  I have not had the opportunity to work on my B's brakes yet, so I
have no first hand MG experiences to relate (yet).

Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, perhaps one of the springs has
broken or the pin that holds the shoe to the baking plate has fallen out?  Try
adjusting the brakes again and setting them with slightly lower drag. You could
also try removing the drum and rotating it 90, 180, or 270 degrees on the wheel
studs.

The Haynes manual reminds us that all brake dust should be removed during
inspection/replacement since "dust can cause squeal and judder."  It is also
important to grease the edges of the shoes so they slide freely.  Last, the
return
springs belong on the inside of the shoes between the shoes and the backplate.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you figure out the problem.

Donny V
78 MGB

In a message dated 6/4/2004 10:12:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,