somewhat OT - Chevy S10 dilemma

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: somewhat OT - Chevy S10 dilemma
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:12:03 -0600
To sort of make this not so off-topic - last week I noticed a slight fuel
leak in my 67 BGT that turned out to be the line between the jet and float
bowl (HS4 carbs of course). It was starting to detach from the jet side so
the fix was to order a pair from Moss. Actually when I found and checked
where it was leaking, the line came off so I knew the car wouldn't be
driveable until I replaced the jets. So the car was down from Thursday
until Tuesday when I got the parts.

Meanwhile, on Monday evening. my son called because his 91 Chevy S10 pickup
broke down - the throttle cable broke. That was when I made my usual
comment about American cars breaking down and trouble getting parts. I
asked - what is going to take longer, rebuilding my carbs or finding a
cable for this S10? (I thought I could do both on a two hour lunch break
from work) Little did I realize the nightmare I was to enter. To make a
long story short, my carb rebuild took less than an hour with total car
downtime of six days (would have been four if it didn't include the
weekend). Meanwhile, the S10 accelerator cable search so far has taken
about 4 hours, at least $10 in gas. Downtime so far is three days and
counting with no cable in sight. NAPA claims their book shows two cables
but the one with cruise control shows no part number. The Chevy dealer, Car
Quest and Bumper to Bumper (our other large chains here in Billings, MT)
all claim there is but one cable listed. This "standard" cable is about 29"
long with en eyelet at the end that attaches to the fuel injection carb. My
son's cable is 33" and has a t-ending. And no - this complex cable cannot
be temporarily replaced with a bike cable, like I had to do with my first B
once.

So right now, I may have to take a half day off from work and once again
spend a few hours driving all over town, this time to the junk yards to
find and replace the bracket and/or carb so he can use the "supported"
Chevy setup. Are there any S10 owners out there that have any better ideas
or another auto parts place to search? My son thought maybe Autozone but
the nearest one is about 200 miles away. Yes, this is a Chevy stock setup
variation, 4.3L engine, cruise control. And for me, this is deja vu, I went
through this crap last time I owned a Chevy, trying to figure out the right
part when a model year could offer multiple possibilities. Thats why I
don't own GM products.

Sorry for the OT, but this is a car list so I figured there may be someone
on this list has a S10 and has gone through this or a similar situation.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B