Wiper/Washer Switch

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, mg-mgb-list@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Wiper/Washer Switch
From: Betti Ann and Preston Smith <prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:49:31 -0300
Our 1980 MGB LE has a combined wiper/washer switch.  The washer is
activated by pushing the end of a wand - the same wand moves through a
number of detents to control the speed and operation of the wiper motor.

When I turn on the ignition the washer pump starts to operate.  The
switch plays no role in turning it on or off.  When I remove the switch
from the circuit the pump does not operate.  Ergo, there is something
wrong with the switch.

So I pull the switch off of my "restoration plan" MGB and things work
the same - the pump kicks in as soon as I turn on the ignition.  Two bad
switches - naw, no way.

So I look a little closer.  There is a black (B)wire and a green with a
Black trace (GB) wire running to the end of the wand and into the loom.
   The Black wire goes off to a ground point and the GB ends up at the
pump.

When I place my ohmmeter on the B and GB connector terminals I get zero
ohms regardless whether or not I press the end of the wand - yup, I have
two bad switches

Does anyone have one of these suckers in their spare parts pile?  Would
you run an ohmmeter across the black and GB terminals on the connector to
confirm that there is infinite resistance when the end is not pushed and
zero resistance when you push it in?

Any ideas how to fix this?  Or do we need a new one?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Preston