MGBGT AC Project

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGBGT AC Project
From: pboldtrix@juno.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:22:07 -0400
Listers:
        Working on accumulating parts needed to air condition my 1967 MGBGT.
Have just acquired an original  "Coolaire" evaporator unit that was used
as part of the  dealer's ac installation back in the 60s.  This is the
unit with the three large round and four small round vents on the face
and sides, along with the fan and temperature control knobs on the front.
 This unit is in excellent condition and I like the "period" looks of it.
 I have seen several pictures in brochures showing it neatly installed in
place of the speaker box under the dash in a Mark I GT.
        So I removed my speaker box, and......found that the metal scuttle
support behind the speaker will not permit the evaporator to be mounted
there, unless I remove the support.  I mean, it's not even close
(thinking perhaps only a portion of the support would need to be
removed).  Positioning the unit in front of the support means the unit's
mounting brackets don't come close to the bottom portion of the steel
dash (where it mounts) and the evaporator box and gear shift almost
touch.
        Has anyone BTDT, or does anyone remember if the dealer removed the
support?  Anyone have a similar (or same) setup?  I don't like the idea
of removing the support,  but the heater plenum is only 4" behind the
support and that adds to the structural integrity.  MGs are unibody
constructed,  and it is a GT...making it stronger.  I'll remove the
support if necessary, but I'd like a little input from the list first.
Thanks in advance.

Phil Bacon
67 MGBGT, 72 TR6
Gold Coast British Sports Car Club, So. Fla.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!