Re: 75 Midget brake problem

To: "Pat Leask" <pleask@shaw.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 75 Midget brake problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:40:29 +0100
If you are not used to driving a Midget it could just be a matter of
perception, they will certainly require more effort than a modern car, but
the TR3 is noted.  As far as a servo goes on the MGB it results in little
reduction in braking effort in my experience, driving a V8 with and without
servo surprised me just how little.  Did your sister complain about the
braking?  If it pulls up straight under hard braking without having to
compensate with the steering wheel then it would appear to be braking evenly
both sides.  If you can eventually lock the wheels, both sides, by
progressively increasing pedal force (i.e. not banging down on the pedal
which makes them lock easier) then they would seem to be working OK.  Are
racing pads fitted?  With only 30k since 75 the pads could be very old,
which may be a contributory factor.

I would be surprised if the horn *didn't* sound with the ignition off from
the factory as a safety thing, certainly all MGBs do, on which the horn is
powered from the purple circuit which is fused from the brown circuit.

PaulH.