Has Anyone Had this Happen?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Has Anyone Had this Happen?
From: "S Allen" <scottinthestans@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:44:10 +0430
Hi,

I'm stopped at the light in my 74 1/4 last night, and when it turns green I
go.  I'm working my way up the gears and at some point when I push in the
clutch pedal there's a dull "thud" and I'm coasting...

I can work my way through the gears o.k., but when I disengage the clutch
nothing.  No traction.

In fact, when I engage the clutch, at some point letting it out the car
wants to go, but with a high-pitched whine.

O.k., so I"m inclined to believe it's probably something in the clutch
assembly, but maybe I'm wrong?  It doesn't feel like a clutch disc failure,
or the fiber ring, (been there done both) so pressure plate?

Maybe I'm wrong?

ANY help appreciated.

Scott

74 1/2 BGT