Re: Alternator on way out?

To: "Betti Ann & Preston Smith" <prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: Alternator on way out?
From: <mjanacek@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:53:19 -0400
Testing the alternator can be done either by checking with a voltmeter
directly on the battery posts and should read about 14.5 volts with a good
battery (simple check). Another option is to take the car, or alternator, to
a local auto parts store such as Advance Auto or Autozone. They will test it
for free.
No, you don't *need* an MGB alternator (Lucas) to have the car functional,
unless you must stay original for shows. Some owners have used a Delco,
while I myself  have installed a Bosch. The correct rebuilt Bosch ones for
your year car are direct plug and play and are on Ebay most of the time.
Output is about 60 amps. Expect to pay about $60-$70 for one with a 3 year
warranty.
Mike
'79B