Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil for Overdrive Transmission
From: Zach Dorsch <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
I did some more research yesterday (googled synthetic comparisons) on switching
to synthetic and there seem to be two opinions on switching to synthetic, it
may leak or it may not leak.  Most did agree that if an engine is already
leaking it will leak more with the synthetic.  Amsoil claimed that the seals
should "re-swell" after around 1000 miles of driving after the switch from
regular oil.  The oil bible (something like that name) said that a motor over 8
or 9 years old might leak, but to take a chance if one wants to replace seals.
Most experts seem to agree that there is at least a slight chance of leaking
when switching to synthetic (even though many have had luck when switching).

So it seems that even the experts are not agreeing.

Zach

Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com> wrote:
Well written but the info on cranking and flow test methodology looks
to be flawed. Also, the article makes the case for using 5W oil and
then reaches the opposite conclusion. I'd say the author didn't
understand the subject and so got a few things mixed up.

Cheers,

CR