Re: push starting

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: push starting
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:44:38 -0600
I don't think I have ever tried reverse, much less first gear. I usually
use second gear and have push started many times under interesting
scenarios. Granted it has been many years since the last time and the
reasons were usually generator or starter problems, but I got in the habit
of always making sure I parked with the car facing downhill under the slim
chance I may need to push start it. And I remember telling my son when he
started driving, first my 71BGT and then his 65B, that if parking on a
slope, always park facing the down slope. A similar variation is to always
bring a tool box. "Be prepared."

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B

At 11:10 AM 8/15/2004 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>I don't know about that. When I was having regular starter problems in my B,
>I started it every day in reverse. I'd open the driver's door, stick my left
>foot out and push backwards until it started to roll down the driveway (very
>short and shallow slope), then pop the clutch to start it.
>
>In my case the battery was fine, it was the starter pinion that wasn't
>engaging.
>
>on 8/14/04 11:30 PM, MonteMorris at mmorris@nemr.net wrote:
>
> > Jane and I went to the movies tonight and afterwards noticed I'd left the
> > lights on the 79B on for three hours. Of course it wouldn't start.
> > I had Jane give me a push downhill in the parking lot (backwards) and tried
> > to pop the clutch three different times to no avail-didn't fire once. A
> nice
> > bystander offered to push me forward and it started up in first gear on the
> > first try.
> > Can you not push start an MG in reverse?
> > Monte

Check out the new British Cars Forum: