tires

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: tires
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:14:55 US/Mountain
I don't really need a lot of info here - I've been the tire route before,
but thought people may want the info.  My Avon Turbosteel 165SR14 84S
tires on my MGB are wearing thin.  I bought these locally and easily some
4 or 5 years ago at about $40 or $50 a tire.  I went to the same tire
store to get similar, and they listed no tires that size available through
normal supply chains.  They also list no tires close to that total
diameter until you get to a 185 width, and with wire wheels, I have seen
185 width tires being gauged by fenders.  Indication was to go to a
vintage tire supplier (such as Coker, or British Wire Wheel).  I did that,
and ended up with Veredestein's (sp?) the right size from Britsh Wire
Wheel - but they're $78 each + shipping + surcharges for shipping tires.
British Wire Wheel also had Michelin tubes (yes, although I denounce them
regularly, I do have wire wheels), and spoke tape.  I had asked the local
tire guys to track down Michelin tubes in the past and they could not get
those either.  Of course, I do live in a relatively small town -
but......my point is that if you can get the right size tire for your MG
locally, do it while they are cheap and available.  Same for Michelin
tubes.  Coker had Michelin tires, but I've had them before - and while
they are very good tires, I couldn't justify the upcharge for them on an
MGB that is being used as a daily driver.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB
'58 MGA
misc others