Valuing an MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Valuing an MGB
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:45:26 +0000
Can anyone help me value an MGB?

I am looking at an MGB being sold by the father of one of my daughter's
friends.

The car is a '74 -- chrome bumpers with the oversized rubber-coated
overriders. It is California and seems to have the standard smog equipment
for that year:
Dual HIF Carbs plus smog pump and gulp valve.

I am told that the engine and gearbox are in good condition -- the engine
and gearbox are strong -- although I have not personally verified this.
Everything looks to be present under the bonnet.  No O/D. I did not check to
see if the numbers match.

The wiring has had some non-standard additions. As the owner says: some
"creative engineering".

Bodywork: looks sound, but paint job is pretty poor. It was re-painted some
years ago and now this new paint is flaking off in a couple of places and
had oxidised on the boot lid.  There are 3 colors visible: white (original),
orange (first re-spray), blue (later respray).  No "crack of doom" visible
in either door.

The underside of the bonnet is pretty rusty though.

Seats are basically shot.

Brakes: felt very odd: the pedal had a springy feel to it -- maybe a lot of
air in the system?

Interior is not very good -- but not disasterous (apart from the seats).
Steering wheel has a rough finish (plastic disintegrating?). Door panels
were OK, window winder handles broken, armrest split.

Seat belts need replacement -- it has lap/diagonal belts, but the shoulder
belt is not attached using the correct backet and mounting point. The only
answer is, I think a new set of belts.

Top is not new, but not too bad. I think there is a broken weld in the
frame, since one of the bows seems to be free to swivel in a way that it
should not. The top does not seem to fit snugly around the windows.

The car has not been used for 6-12 months.  The car has been listed in at
least one club magazine for $2500, yet no takers so far.

Simon

Check out the new British Cars Forum: