Re: Powder coating wire wheels

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Powder coating wire wheels
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:24:56 -0700
on 8/25/04 9:47 AM, Mark Palmer at mgvrmark@hotmail.com wrote:

> Anyone have experience powder coating wire wheels?  I have an old set of
> wheels which are sound, but ratty-looking (many coats of old paint, rough
> surface finish).  I'm thinking of having them stripped & powder coated.  I
> will probably have them sand blasted rather than chemically stripped, the
> chemical would be impossible to completely remove from all the crevices and
> would probably ruin the powder coat -- so I think sand-blasting is the way
> to go.  Will the powder coat get around & behind all the spokes?  I don't
> expect to be able to adjust the spokes afterwards, they're pretty much
> frozen in position already but that's OK, the wheels are round & pretty true
> and have been for many years.  Any comments/advice?
>
> Mark Palmer

Have you been running on these wheels? I wouldn't be so sure about them
being round, sound and true -- they seldom maintain that state for long. Not
only will you be unable to adjust the spokes after powdercoating, but if you
happen to break one of the ancient, brittle spokes, you will have a hell of
a time replacing it, and then it won't match. My guess is that by the time
you have them stripped and painted, you could have bought a new set of
wheels, unless they are for some kind of rarity. My 2"...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

Check out the new British Cars Forum: