RE: Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:48:55 -0700
Steve:

I'm afraid I would resort to the flame wrench about now.  This problem
is unusual, but is probably due to the captive nuts breaking free.
Probably the welder had a bad day.

This is one of those times when having the right tools makes the job
fairly easy, but without them I wouldn't know how to proceed.

I'd blow the heads off the bolts with either a grinder or cutting torch.
Take the bar off and get it out of the way.  Drill out the location
where the captive nuts were and try to fish the nuts out of the chassis
rail so they won't rattle.  Then I would make up a repair plate with new
welded nuts that can be offered up so the new nuts go through the
drilled holes.  The new plate is then welded to the bottom of the
chassis rails.  This will change the sway bar location by the thickness
of the plate, but this won't be a problem.

It's also possible that "Nutsert" inserts could be installed in the
existing holes in the frame rail if they were not damaged, but that
would require finding someone with the installation tool and 5/16
inserts.

Sorry, but I don't know of an easier fix for this.  I've run into
similar problems with the top frame mounting nuts breaking loose, which
is another pain.

Kelvin.