Re: Oil leak update

To: Frank Marrone <itswonderful@comcast.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil leak update
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
Frank,
Yes, that rubber cover in the engine plate is
available from Moss, part # 297-495

Given that you said it disintegrated when you removed
it, there is a possibility that a leak from the
oil-pan gasket could be getting into the bell housing
via that faulty cover. Which would explain the
presence of oil on the cotter pin.

I would suggest you order one of those covers, and
perhaps an oil-pan gasket. Clean out as much of the
oil in the bell housing as you can through the
inspection hole then fit the new cover. If that stops
the oil from showing up on the cotter pin, you should
be able to rule out the crank seal. Then you just need
to fix the oil pan gasket :)

If, OTOH, the cotter pin shows oil and there is none
on the outside of the engine plate, then it could be
the crank seal and the new cover is keeping it all in
the bell housing :(

BTW, that isn't really an inspection hole as such, it
is to do with the automatic transmission option.

Good luck,
James
'74 B

--- Frank Marrone <itswonderful@comcast.net> wrote:

> I wiped down the oily mess under the car and went
> for a spirited drive.  I
> had made sure to wipe the front of the transmission
> directly behind the oil
> pan of the engine since this had lots of fresh oil
> on it.  I'm talking about
> the surface that is probably actually a motor plate
> sandwiched between the
> engine and transmission.  When I got back this
> surface was again coated with
> fresh oil and when I got under the car I could see
> the lots of fresh oil at
> the rear of the oil pan.  The oil pan bolts are
> tight.  There still is a
> drip from the cotter pin but no new tracking of
> fresh oil could be seen
> leading to it.
>
> I pulled the inspection plug in the  motor plate and
> could verify motor oil
> on the engine side of the plate internal to the
> bellhousing.  It seems
> increasingly likely that I have a rear main leak.
>
> If the rear main leaks would I expect to have oil
> seeping past the motor
> plate and engine as well as out the cotter pin hole?
>  I guess I could also
> still have a pan gasket leak.
>
> Unfortunately the inspection plug fell apart when I
> removed it.  Is this
> plug readily available?
>
> Frank
> '73 GT