Re: Twin Cam - RE; Air filter elements

To: Howard Battan <battanhr@comcast.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Twin Cam - RE; Air filter elements
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:55:23 -0500
Howard Battan wrote:

> When checking up on the K&N air filters at their website, I notice that they
> do not list any for older (1957) MGs, and also they say their custom air
> filters are for competition use only, and are "not applicable or intended"
> for "street or highway vehicles. I also recall reading somewhere that they
> are great for racing because they allow a lot of airflow volume, but only
> because they do not do a good job of filtering the air.
>
> Anybody care to set me straight on this? I will need new air filters for my
> '57 1500.

I use a K&N Cone on the Cooper S, but I'm not an expert. I rebuild my
engines way more often than most owners do and I haven't seen any
unusual ring wear, but then I also live in the city and rarely drive
the Mini or MGs on dirt or gravel roads. As far as I know, the K&N
will do a pretty good job if it's cleaned and re-oiled per the
instructions, but I also suspect that most street-going cars don't get
this attention as often as recommended.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/