Re: Water+steel=rust?

To: oliver <oliverconnect@yahoo.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Water+steel=rust?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:19:41 -0600
At 07:08 AM 11/12/04 -0800, oliver wrote:
>thanks!  this was fun.  but you won't give us the equation with salt ;-)

Nope.  (I hope you don't feel snubbed). I said I was trying to limit the
response to one page.  For most of us it is sufficient to know that
water+steel=rust, and the fact that salt accellerates the process is common
knowledge.  I was surprised that anyone would even ask how or why, but
casual curiosity can be a good thing.  Asking for much greater detail may
imply that you want to work out a method of cure or prevention for rust,
which is certainly far beyond the scope of this discussion group.  I have
no intention of quoting verbatim many volumes from reference books.

The more pertinent questions for this group might be how to repair the
damage resulting from rust, and how to prevent rust from reoccuring (which
has been coverd here before).

Barney