Re: Wiring Question

To: <DMatt21502@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wiring Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:51:40 -0000
Those wires are for the early 45DE4 electronic ignition.  The white is a
direct 12v supply and the white/blue a ballasted 12v supply both going to
the ignition electronics.  The supply to the coil itself is a
white/light-green which is also ballasted.

You don't say what electronic ignition you have, but if you have the later
factory 45DM4 system those wires are not required and should be carefully
insulated and taped back.  These wires are unfused and the white at least
will damage the loom if it shorts to ground.

If you have an after-market electronic ignition system it may need a direct
12v supply to the electronics while the coil still uses the ballasted supply
(e.g. Pertronix), in which case you can use the white for that and just tape
back and insulate the white/blue.  But if you don't have the ballast
resistor either you should have another white/blue close by, in which case
they are dead, but they should still be taped back for neatness.  And by the
second white/blue there should be another white - the 12v feed to the
electronics ballast resistor - and this must be carefully insulated and
taped back.

You also need to consider what coil you have with your ignition.  Originally
it would have been a 6v coil, hence the ballasted white/light-green supply,
but if you fitted a replacement coil as part of an after-market electronic
ignition system it could be a 12v, in which case it may also need the
unballasted white connection instead of the white/light-green.  You must
check the resistance of the coil - the original 6v measured about 1.5 ohms,
the original 12v about 3 ohms, but I have a 12v Sport coil which measures
about 2.4 ohms.  You also need to refer to the instruction for your
electronic ignition system to see just what connections there should be to
the coil and electronics.  Incorrect connections could easily destroy the
electronics.

PaulH.