72 MGB Exhaust Questions

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 72 MGB Exhaust Questions
From: "Steve Clifton" <sclifton@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:57:35 -0500
I have disconnected the exhaust header from the header pipe on a stock 72MGB
exhaust system while doing other maintenance.  I have bought replacement
exhaust flange gaskets to replace the existing before reassembly.  The
existing exhaust flange gaskets heartily resisted removal and put up a good
fight, but I believe I prevailed and have made way for the new gaskets.

Questions:

Is the header pipe flanged internally like the header?  I ask because it
appears that it is a flat surface on the header pipe for placing the new
gasket and the gasket shape suggests that it should be flanged as well.  The
top of the new gaskets are flush with the top of the header pipe.  Should
they be lower?

My problem is that with the new gaskets it is very difficult to compress the
two pipes and make thread on the studs.  Incidently,  all the studs are gone
and have been replaced with 1 1/2 X 1/4 bolts.  Is 1 1/2 inches too short?
I don't know what the original stud lengths were-

Also, my 2 cents says it is bad design where these two pipes couple
together.  Makes for a difficult servicing job.

Thanks for any advice on the subject -

Steve C.
72 MGB