Starting Rebuilt Engine

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Starting Rebuilt Engine
From: "David Macedonia" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:20:55 -0500
Hey Listers!

Well, everything's put back together and I'm ready to try to start my '66B
for the first time since I started the restoration 9 years ago!

My question is, how long should I have to crank the engine before the oil
pressure comes up to specification? I've cranked in for about 10secs and saw
no movement of the gauge needle. I also checked the hoses to the oil cooler
and there was no oil in them. I installed a new oil pump when I rebuilt the
engine, so hopefully there's no problem there. Is there a priming operation
I should perform to help speed up the process? Also, I'm not all that sure
that my oil pressure gauge works, so is there a way to check it? Or, is
there another way of measuring oil pressure without it?

Thanks,

Dave

1966 MGB
Crofton, MD.