Re: Another weird electrical tale for the Lucas Electrical

To: Saabnutty@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Another weird electrical tale for the Lucas Electrical
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:41:12 EST
On the Mountney horn button the contact with the "pencil" is made with
essentially and unbundled wound wire, flayed out so that at least one hits the
pencil.  These were very weal and broke right off, so I had to solder some
thicker wires back on.

Having said that, the horn wasn't the problem, just another of 3 or 4 red
herrings that made me think I had found the problem becuase for a while the car

ran fine.  In the end--and thank god there is an end--it was the connector
at the rear of the alternator.  Early on in the process I attacked that,
thinking it was corroded.  Then I moved on.  It turned out the clips  where
just
too loose and occasionally lost a little bit of the contact, but  never fell
out.  A simple crimping with plyers solved a problem that  bedeviled me for 6
weeks or more.  The plus side is that I have  trouble-shot my electrical system
and anything that was slightly questionable  was put right, so I anticipate
years of trouble-free motoring (RIGHT!).

Jay Donoghue

72 MGB-GT
66Mustang

In a message dated 12/5/2004 5:14:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,