Re: brake light bulbs

To: dave houser <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: brake light bulbs
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 05:45:14 -0600
At 06:52 PM 12/4/04 -0800, dave houser wrote:
>The Sept/Oct. issue of the MGB Driver had a tech tip that told me about a
>#2357 bulb being a brighter bulb for braking than the standard 1157.

Yup.  The 2357 has a slightly brighter brake light filament, but same low
intensity on the tail light.

>I stopped in an the local Autozone and went to pick up a pair of the
>2357's when the clerk suggested that if I wanted max braking visibility I
>should go for a pair of the LED bulbs.

Do you have "sucker" written on your forehead?  The guy smells a profit.

>Has anyone had experience with either and what recommendations can you
>offer? The 2357's are a little bit more but the LED bulbs were $16.95 pr.
>As far as safety goes, that's a small price to pay.

The LED "bulbs" that are a direct substitute for the 1157 type are less
bright than the incandescent bulb.  They are also directional, projecting
the light out of the "end" of the bulb in a cone shape zone.  If perchance
the bulb is mounted to point straight back (certainly not in the MGA), then
it projects a fairly bright spot on the back of the tail light lense.  The
size of that spot depends on the projection cone angle, and may or may not
appear as bright from behind, but in any case it will likely not be as
visible from the side.  The LEDs which are in that price range are a WHOLE
LOT LESS BRIGHT than the 1157 incandescent bulb.

The only one I know which appears as bright (or slightly brighter) from
directly behind is made by Radiantz.  It is 1.85 inch diameter with 48
LEDs, and the price is closer to $100 per pair.  They are also available
with flexible wired hanging base connector or pigtails for hard wiring,
which could be used in the MGA (if you provide the physical mount).  If you
want to use it as a turn signal you have to consider the debilitating
effect the severe reduction of current has on function of the flasher unit.

Find a picture and link and more information here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et107.htm

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com