Re: Restoration Notes (Moss)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Restoration Notes (Moss)
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:04:51 EST
As my project (62 coupe) progresses, more parts come out of their boxes, or
are acquired locally from Moss.

A few comments - the repro serial number plates are pretty good, the valve
cover plates are very good, and the heater plates, the one with the numbers (or
 would have if you have really tiny stamps to put them there) is printed
slightly  too small in scale, although the plate itself is the correct size.

A brake caveat. I got the gasket that goes between the brake master  cylinder
and the top plate on the 1500 and 1600. It was made from fairly thin
rubberised cork, and had a hole cut in one end for the brake fluid to pass
through.

At first I said 'WTF - this has to be wrong". My original gasket was cut
away and just sealed the perimeter of the master body, and it was at least
twice
as thick material. Then I realised that while I have the raised alloy
reservoir  of the 1600, the gasket as supplied (although in different material
than
original) WAS correct, but only for the 1500 without the raised reservoir.
Moss  only lists one part number, not two as the factory did. I thought about
it,
 decided that I didn't want all that extra cork floating about in brake
fluid,  perhaps to degrade, and used a razor knife to remove all of the excess
(for
the  1600) on the inside of the gasket. Perhaps a note in the catalogue might
be in  order.

I had less good luck with the radio blanking plate set. I glued some vinyl
onto the plate itself - this was correct for the coupe, and in any case, Moss
don't supply the plates in primer as would be needed for MGAs, but only in
crackle black finish which is correct only for MGBs. I went to fit the assembly

only to find that the speed nuts were a couple of sizes too big to fit the
pegs  of the MG motif - a simple packing mistake (shades of the trunk badge
where  you couldn't have got the supplied clips to work either).

To top that off, the bezel that goes outside of the centre plate was
absolute garbage - instead of a smooth chromed rim, it had a rough gouged rim
that
they had dutifully chromed over instead of rejecting it.

The chrome wiper bezels are good, though. Too bad the little ring gaskets
that go under them look like they were cut out of an old inner tube by someone
with a dull box-cutter, but I can do better myself. At least the chrome is
good.

And so it goes. At least I found out why there were 3 little blank rubber
bungs in the heater grommet kit. Now if I could just figure out why the factory

drilled holes where there seems no point to holes.........

Kind of fun to unpack little envelopes I got from Tod Clarke 17 years ago
and have the fasteners look correct and fit properly.

Must see if he has screws for the serial number plate in the engine
compartment. Moss doesn't seem to. I've been through this one before with the
provincial motor vehicle branch who inspect cars. They insist that serial
number
plates should be rivetted to the body, and I tell them that they are  about 40
years too late - they should have told the MG factory that. They insist  that
couldn't be the case. I offer to have it confirmed by someone that has been
judging MG concours for 30 years. They say fine. They then look like they have
been unfairly tricked when I inform them that I am that expert.....;-)

Bill