RE: New Radiator

To: "'David Macedonia'" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>, Mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: New Radiator
From: mg-dennis <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:28:28 -0800
I don't understand why someone would recommend you not to repair your
radiator.  And specially recommend a new one from VB or Moss.  They are
CRAP!!! My radiator developed a leak a couple of years ago.  To save time
and cause it was about the same price or even cheaper than a repair I bought
one from my local Moss distributor (Oconnors).  He had one in stock.  My car
consistently ran 15 degrees warmer with that radiator!  I ended up taking my
old one to a radiator shop and had it repaired.  I would recommend getting
it recored.  And specify a minimum of 3 rows and preferably a 4 row Modine
or equivalent.  Find a reputable shop.  I good shop can fix virtually any
radiator.  And don't let them talk you into an economy core.  A buddy of
mine had put a Moss radiator in his B.  He complained how hot it ran all the
time with the new radiator.  He finally had is old one recored with a four
row and now his car runs at a normal temp.  I think the Moss rad looks more
original in the way the fins are arranged but it is not a very efficient
core.  My first clue was the generic brown cardboard box with the only
markings on that said "Made in China" on it.  I've also had good luck fixing
minor leaks with a propane torch and solder.

Dennis Cox
67 MGB