Re: Legislative Alert for Washingtonians

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Legislative Alert for Washingtonians
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:56:36 -0800
Whoa! Don't panic. You are not correct about the practical details of
California's current laws.

California recently changed its smog inspection requirements from a "30-year
rolling" limit to "1974-and-later permanently". Meaning your 1973 MGB is
permanently exempt from smog inspection, but your 1974 MGB needs to be
inspected every other year, forever, and will be expected to have "all
original equipment installed and operable". As an aside, I might add that
the smog station operators, which in CA are not state employees but
independent shops, are seldom very familiar with LBC engine compartments,
and are perfectly capable of overlooking modifications such as Webers,
headers, and even superchargers, if the tailpipe emissions pass based on the
year of manufacture.

While I believe that the law "on the books" says that all vehicles of any
vintage must retain their original smog equipment, this has no practical
effect on vehicles of vintage 1973 and earlier, since there is no provision
for inspection.

This change in the Washington law may come as a shock to you (I don't know
what your previous law entailed, if anything), but in CA, this is
essentially what we have been dealing with for decades. When I purchased my
1966 MGB in 1988, it was still eligible for smog inspection, every other
year with the registration renewal, until the 30-year window slipped by in
1996-97. This has not seemed to have a major deleterious effect on the car
hobby in CA, and I would not categorize Washington's plan as a "lunatic
scheme" based on your description, although it would doubtless incur some
inconvenience.

At worst, it might drive up the prices of chrome-bumper models versus RBBs
(but of course all right-thinking persons prefer them anyway <g>).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149