RE: Somewhat Embarrassing Question

To: "'David Macedonia'" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Somewhat Embarrassing Question
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:17:52 -0800
 I've never owned a non-synchro MGB but I have owned several early 50's
vintage Dodge and Ford products.  The technique taught to me is called
"double clutching".  You stop momentarily in neutral when shifting down from
second to first.  While in neutral you attempt to match the engine speed to
the engine speed you will obtain once you are actually in first according to
your road speed.  When done correctly this will produce a smooth crashless
shift.  I believe this is akin to what the synchros in the transmission do
when so equipped.

Frank
Blown up '73 GT