Re: Mods

To: "Rocky Frisco" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Mods
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:40:37 -0000
That is precisely what I meant! (I'm deeply hurt you thought otherwise ...)
I would far rather pump the pedal myself and can feel the shock retardation
just as the wheels lock, this does not seem to happen with ABS, one gets the
pulsing under one's foot but the car just goes sailing on albeit steerable.
The last time that happened to me I had the option of steering into some
trees and a ditch one way or into the path of any traffic that might come
over a blind hump-backed bridge the other.  I chose to hit the car in front.

My natural reaction when locking the wheels is to pump the pedal, which on
ABS does bugger-all.  I was a passenger in a skid-training car with
switchable ABS at Silverstone and the driver wanted to demonstrate how much
better ABS was than driver cadence braking.  However he seemed only capable
of pushing the pedal about once every two seconds so of course the car went
sailing through the cones on a bend.  I don't know about anyone else but I
can pump them far faster than that!  Your last para confuses me somewhat,
surely if the esteemed Stirling Moss stopped in a straight line with the
wheels turned and locked he was demonstrating the effect of a *typical*
motorist (by choice I am sure) in a non-ABS car, not a *skilled* driver in a
non-ABS car.

PaulH.