FW: Somewhat Embarrassing Question

To: "'Eric J Russell'" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: FW: Somewhat Embarrassing Question
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <Jerry@erbesfield.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:29:03 -0500
I've "double clutched" various stick shift cars, including MG's with
non-syncro 1st gear tranny's, for most of my driving years (I'm 59). Yes,
double clutching does work - - most of the time, IF you are careful and IF
you have mastered the technique. HOWEVER, no matter how good one may be at
doing it, you can't be perfect every time and once in a while, your gonna
miss. Sometimes you miss a little, sometimes a lot. When you do miss, gears
clash. When gears clash, teeth chip, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.
Eventually the chips cause noise and then, eventually a grinding sound, and
later, roar - or worse. That's the facts, from a long time double clutcher
and from someone who has driven and seen, heard and been around many an
older model MG (A's, B's, Midgets, Sprites, Minis, etc) and other make non
1st gear syncro tranny cars with the dreaded 1st gear roar.

Some of you old timers should remember the dreaded 1st gear roar on non-1st
gear syncro BMC's. Was pretty common back when the non-syncro 1st gear was
all there was and the consumer crammed it into first anyhow, clash or no
clash. Lots of 1st gears consumed! Why do you think they finally introduced
the 1st gear syncro model tranny in the 1st place?

My advice; Yes, double clutching is an acquired trick skill and something to
brag on - but it can be very costly. Unless you're racing and as such,
prepared to do the work/spend the bucks, keep the double clutching in
non-syncro 1st gear model tranny's on the streets in everyday driving to a
bare minimum.

To those that would flame me and say that they double clutch on the streets,
all the time, in everyday driving, without damage, I say (in the holiday
spirit ;<)) Bah, Humbug! If what you are saying is true in the first place,
then you're just living on borrowed time! The roar will eventually get you!!

Still lurking - and still posting!

Jerry

Jerry Erbesfield
Was - 73 Black beauty MGB roadster
Now - C-5 Black Beauty Vette roadster
E-mail: Jerry@Erbesfield.com
Website: www.erbesfield.com

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed
7491 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their
emails. Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!