MGB Clutch

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB Clutch
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:09:18 -0600
I've had some MGB throw-out bearings get pretty beat up, but I've never had one
completely fail.  The worst clutch I ever pulled (and the clutch I abused the
most) was after I had a hydraulic failure at the "Ramada Express Rally" in
Laughlin, NV.  Something in the hydraulics packed up (and I had a new slave and
a "rebuilt" master from Apple) and we could not get sufficient hydraulic
pressure.

If I pumped the clutch pedal the clutch would slip enough to hold the car in
gear and to shift it once I was moving, but I couldn't get the car in to gear
if I started it in neutral.  So I was pumping the clutch, holding it in,
starting the car, and keeping the revs up to sit in line before the "super
special" stage.  Trashed the clutch of course, but it let me finish the event
and get a trophy.

When I pulled the clutch everything was toast; the throw-out bearing had some
curious marks and a bit of chipping on the edges, but was in better shape than
I expected.

The Apple "rebuilt" master cylinder was promptly replaced and I've never had
hydraulic problems since.  All in all, considering what I've done to them, MGB
clutches seem to be stout.

(Note:  I am not advocating holding the clutch pedal in at stops! This is bad
for a number of reasons...)

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary