Re: MGB sway bars

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB sway bars
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:26:47 -0000
The MGB always did roll, as shown in some of the publicity photos, but that
didn't adversely affect grip standards for the day.  A rear ARB particularly
helps RB cars, it was belatedly fitted as standard.  Ron Hopkinson in the UK
also marketed a handling kit consisting of a rear bar and an uprated (7/8"
from memory) front bar which greatly reduced roll and improved cornering
performance around cones at least.  Adding just the rear bar results in a
much greater tendency to oversteer particularly in the wet, which the
uprated front bar mostly corrects.  But I have found tyre choice probably
makes as much difference.  I tried RB front and rear springs on an otherwise
standard roadster and whilst that also greatly reduced roll and dive it also
increased oversteer in the wet.

IMHO unless you are looking for greatly improved track performance from a
wholesale upgrade of front and rear suspension you are best off sticking
with the factory setup, with the exception of fitting the later factory RB
rear arb to earlier RB cars.  And tyre choice.

PaulH.