Re: Engine Colour, no- rbb bashing, Does it look like an MG or

To: Larry list account <list@marketvalue.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Colour, no- rbb bashing, Does it look like an MG or
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:31:20 -0600
Bill Spohn wrote:

> We ARE talking about a mechanical device you guys happen to  own, and saying
>that some
> of its attributes aren't as good as some other  models hardly counts as a
>personal
> shot

THANK YOU BILL!  I also got flamed for expressing my opinion on a car as
if I was taking a personal shot.

<<<snip>>>
Larry list account wrote:

> Hans you seem to have a handle on graciousness.
>
> I hope Jim doesn't base his experience with this forum on Blake's messages;
> but rather on Paul Hunt's and Hans' messages.
>
> Good luck Jim.
>
> Larry Hoy
<<<Snip>>>

Just because I didn't like the appearance of the Datsun 2000, doesn't
mean it didn't have technical merrit or I thought people who owned/liked
them were a mite "off the latch."  Our family has owned several Datsuns:
420, 510, 610, 720, 240Z.  All were very good cars mechanically with
mediocre to non-descript styling (except the 240Z) as Bill pointed out:

"The Datsuns were a bit awkward looking to my eyes - the Japanese
seemed  to
steal styling badly, and technology well."

The 420 wasn't very pretty but had a 1000 KG (That's more than a ton!)
payload capacity and had the 1300cc B series engine in it right down to
the SAE dimensions and fasteners.  There was no metric.

In 1972, I felt I could afford my first new car which I wanted to be a
sports car.  I test drove the MGB, Midget, TR6, GT6, and 240Z.  I
already owned a TD and liked most MGs very well.

Which car did I buy?  The 240Z.  IME it was the prettiest, had the best
suspension, engine, finnish, etc., at a price very little more than the
MGB or TR6.  It was like buying a smaller version of an E type.

IMO the only MGs brought into the USA which might be equal or better
than the 240Z (technically and/or visually) are: The MGA twin cam and
the MGBGT-V8.

Regards,
Blake
TD Midget