Re: Austin

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Austin
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:58:17 EST
In a message dated 09/02/2005 1:38:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
richchrysler@quickclic.net writes:

Ah, but all was not lost. Donald Healey grabbed hold of the opportunity  to
use up those 2660cc engines, and a lot of the mechanical components and
designed and marketed the prettiest British sportscar the 1950's ever saw,
the Austin Healey Hundred.

____________________________________

They were horrible engines with a stroke as  long as my .....well, pretty
long, anyway, and worm-eaten ports that only  grudgingly admitted fuel and air.

That notwithstanding, they had gobs of torque  (which is good, as they came
unglued if operated above about 5000 RPM) - so  much so that the BN-! blocked
off the first gear on the reverse pattern Austin  lorry transmission they used,
and ended up with a default 3 speed all synchro  gearbox.

On the 100 S, where they used a head that  could actually breath, the power
was very good for the period, but even the  regular 100 M version wasn't too
shabby - I've raced against them and they can  be hard to lose on the straight,
where they run like a train, until you come  to a tight corner, where they
also brake about the same as a  train.

I do agree that they are an attractive styling  design - and the 100 is by
far my favourite over the later 100-6 (a lamentable  creation with the heart of
another and heavier Austin lorry) and 3000 (with a  somewhat tuned Austin
lorry engine)

Bill