Re: Bonnet insulation.

To: "McLaren, Doug" <doug.mclaren@electricalsafety.on.ca>,
Subject: Re: Bonnet insulation.
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:06:58 -0800
Doug,

I think that the idea of stuff stuck to the bonnet was not to stop heat
transfer but to deaden the noise of the engine.  When you consider the
employment of louvres this becomes obvious. There also maybe some who also
do it to stop paint deterioration.   I cannot see why it should be
considered as a means to keep the heat in !!!!  If you engine bay is
getting to hot using such stuff will not help although the heat loss
through the bonnet will not be a large percentage - BUT it will
help!!    The thing to consider - do you want NOT to hear your engine?

At 01:03 PM 2/23/05, McLaren, Doug wrote:
>I have a large roll of insulating material but have been reluctant to put it
>under the bonnet. I have always had concerns about getting rid of engine
>heat and it strikes me that insulating the bonnet will only hold the heat in
>and make it worse. What say you.....
>
>Thanks....  Doug
>78B
>79B