Re: MGB 65' v6 231 conversion alt/tach problem

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: MGB 65' v6 231 conversion alt/tach problem
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:33:08 -0800
There is an alternative!  I had the problem of converting my MGB 4 cylinder
tach to an 8 cylinder.  So I bought ($10) a Triumph TR8 tach and swapped
out the guts to the MGB one.  The MG dial fits perfectly onto the TR
guts!   Maybe a 6 cylinder tach could offer its guts to fit ?  The  only
problem was drilling the holes in the MGB tach body in the right place -
but mistakes do not show !!!!  The potentiometer method seemed to require
calibration with equipment I do not have.

At 02:09 AM 2/27/2005, Paul Hunt wrote:
>The 65 originally had a current pulse tach.  This has a 12v and ground
>supply on green and black wires, and the current pulse is obtained from a
>white looped through an inductive pickup en route from the ignition switch
>to the coil +ve or SW terminal.  The earliest of these had a physical loop
>of wire from the loom that was placed in the external pickup, later versions
>had two separate whites with male and female bullets on the loom, the tach
>having an internal pickup with flying leads or the bullets mounted on the
>case.  Later tachs (73 on) were voltage operated and had a single
>white/black from the coil -ve to the tach in place of the white loop.  You
>need to determine what type of tach you have and if it is connected
>correctly to whatever ignition system is on your engine.  If electronic
>ignition or fuel injected with an ECU you could well have problems with the
>current pulse tach, this is not uncommon with aftermarket electronic
>ignition systems on the standard engine.  You stand a better chance with the
>voltage operated tach, but it all depends on the ignition system for your
>engine.
>
>Since there are plenty of references around to converting standard tachs for
>a V8 by adding a multi-turn pot in the appropriate place I see no reason why
>this shouldn't work for a V6 with a suitable ignition system.  V6?  3 firing
>pulses per revolution?  1000 revolutions per minute?  50Hz?  I've not done
>it but again I have heard of using a simple battery charger with a simple
>rectified (and not smoothed) AC output as a test signal for tachs, 50Hz if
>single wave, 100Hz if full-wave rectified.
>
>PaulH.

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson